does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 08:38:55 EDT 2003

"Tim Rowe" <tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.cix.co.uk> wrote in message
news:bresev47pva1a27odt1nlouppj27vh2pe0 at 4ax.com...

> (As an aside, when the project manager comes along and says we have to
> cut something to meet timescales, do you think it will be compilation
> or test that's more likely to be cut?)

If you're doing test driven design and your project manager wants to cut the
tests, get a new project manager. This line of argument often seems to come up
when XP style developed is discussed, and, frankly, I think it's rather weak.
Of course, test driven design isn't going to work well if you skip the tests.

You never hear the argument: "what if the project manager cuts code reviews to
save time", and that's something that's hard to automate. Likewise, in an strong
architectural design, nobody would suggest cutting the upfront design time would
save time overall.