Saving Files Under Windows

Andrew Clover and-google at doxdesk.com
Fri Jun 13 09:10:45 EDT 2003

achrist at easystreet.com wrote:

> Are there new rules under Windows 2000 or XP that restrict in which folders
> users can or should be saving their data?

They're not entirely new; paths like this have been configurable back to
Win9X, and are in any case likely to be different on different language
installations.

> Do the python libs or the python win32api give me any function
> that I can call to find out where I should be creating output files
> for users?

Don't know of anything Python-specific, but you can use the winreg module:

  http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module--winreg.html

to read the contents of the registry, eg. key:

  \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://www.doxdesk.com/