Is python good for making database work short?

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Thu Jun 19 12:22:24 EDT 2003

Steve writes:

> I have been very impressed with foxpro.  I am surprised that the free
> software community ( or even another proprietary group ) has not
> produced a work-a-like of foxpro.

Microsoft played their hand quite adeptly, giving FoxPro developers regular
upgrades and cool new features, marketing FoxPro quite well to the FoxPro
community but not at all outside that community.  Basically, they kept us
busy learning the new features and encouraging us to also learn the overall
Visual Studio product. The idea of Linux and open source is rather new to
the broad FoxPro user base, and has been seen as a threat even by those
same people who are afraid of Microsoft deciding one day to kill FoxPro.

This situation has changed somewhat over the last couple years, but
basically Microsoft was providing us just enough with their Visual FoxPro
product to keep it from being worthwhile for someone to develop a
work-alike.

It is my view that in another year or so, that broad base of FoxPro
developers will look around and realize that the desktop market is no
longer so dominated by Windows, and go into a little panic because the only
tool they know is only available for Windows development.

--
Paul McNett