Is python good for making database work short?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Jun 19 14:52:52 EDT 2003

In article <6f8cb8c9.0306181727.9c86095 at posting.google.com>,
Steve <stevesusenet at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 		.
>One part of the problem involved copying tables from one database on
>one server, to another database on another server.
>
>To do it in Java would have been a bazillion lines of code.
>
>I would have had to written code to:
>
>1. connect to the parent database
>2. a sql statement to get the data
>3. intermediarly store the results
>4. close the parent connection
>5. open the connection to the child database
>6. a sql statement with 50 column names to create a blank table
>7. code to transfer the stored data into the new table
>8. close the connection
> 		.
> 		.
> 		.
I have a tangential question; it doesn't have to do with
FoxPro or Python.

In what sense does Java coding require 4., above?  Most
specifically, do you believe that the first connection
must be closed before opening the second?  I suspect I
misunderstand what you're really intending.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net