Tiger Hash Function in Python

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Fri Jun 20 07:23:30 EDT 2003

Mirco Romanato wrote:
> I'm a newby to Python, and I want use Python because it don't need to
> compile and other things in order to have a working program.
>
> It is over 10 years I don't program anything, apart my VCR :-(
>
> But you are right, probably I will follow yours if I find no
> alternative.
>
> What I dare is, what if I use Python to compute Tiger hash for big
> files:
> e.g tiger of 1024 bytes chunks of a 650 - 1 GB files (650k-1M function
> call for a file).
> The function efficiency compared to C how will compare?

Hash functions written in Python are always going to be slower than the
same function coded in C, but is up to you to decide whether it's too
slow for your project.  If you only calculate the hash once in a while
it probably doesn't matter.

Anyway, this Python package has Tiger hash so it might work for you:
http://mhash.sourceforge.net/

Van