GUI interactive prompt with non-text output

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Sat Jun 21 14:01:40 EDT 2003

Is anyone aware of extensions to a GUI interactive prompt (such as that
in IDLE) where the statements executed might be able to produce a
graphical output after the input prompt as well as text (as you would get
if you did a "print").

I'm thinking along the lines of Mathematica, although another useful
mental picture might be a board game where you enter your move at a
prompt and then the board is drawn before giving you another prompt
(which the ability to scroll back to see the boards after each move).

Hopefully I'm describing what I'm after clearly enough.

What I would most like is some sort of library / widget / extension to
IDLE that is fairly generic, but another alternative would be open source
software that does something like this in the specific that I could then
make generic.

I thought I'd check if anyone knew of something like this before
embarking on writing my own.

NOTE: I'm not necessarily tied to it being Tk-based (although that is
what I know). If something exists in PyQt or wxWindows, I'm willing to
use this as an excuse to learn them :-)

James
--
  James Tauber