GUI interactive prompt with non-text output

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Sun Jun 22 00:36:21 EDT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:37:33 +1000, "Tim Churches"
<tchur at optushome.com.au> said:
> James Tauber wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of extensions to a GUI interactive prompt (such as
> that
> > in IDLE) where the statements executed might be able to produce a
> > graphical output after the input prompt as well as text (as you would
> get
> > if you did a "print").
[...]

> Have a look at PyCrust - see http://www.orbtech.com/www/PyManual.html
> Or if want a higher level interface to wxPython, try PythonCard (see
> http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/) - see Figure 5 of the turtle example
> at http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/samples/turtle.html - is that what
> you had in mind?

It would if the pentagon had actually been drawn on the shell canvas
immediately below the input that produced it.

I'm thinking of something that would support the following (but with
nicely drawn graphics rather than the ASCII art):

>>> draw_square(side=100)

    +-----+
    |     |
    |     |