PyQt Help and Advice

Keith Jones kmj9907 at cs.rit.edu
Tue Jul 29 14:19:22 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:17:40 +0000, Ilya Knizhnik wrote:

> However since PyQt is rather new, I have not found much documentation on
> it, or examples in it.  The only useful tutorial/book I have found is at
> www.opendocspublishing.com/pyqt/ but it is not always clear for someone
> with almost no GUI experience.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Ilya

If you're at all familiar with C++, or even if you're not, you'll find
Qt's API docs, http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/ , very handy. I've found that
pyQt correlates almost exactly with them, except for some str QString
conversion issues. I refer to that all the time when I'm doing PyQt code.
Also, I don't know what OS or distro you're on, but there is a set of pyqt
examples out there. In redhat, I used the PyQt-examples rpm (case
sensitive), which installs a bunch of example programs to
/usr/share/doc/PyQt-examples-[version].  Also. as Sybren mentioned, the Qt
tutorial itself should be useful.. Finally, I'll say that the book you
mentioned is excellent, and a wonder source of example code. I liked it
enough that I bought it, and I'm happy I did.

Good luck with PyQt! The only issues I've had were related to QCanvas not
deleting canvas items (and therefore my program leaking them) if I don't
reuse them. I still haven't figured that out, so I just keep track of the
ones I create and reuse them, in order to prevent memory leaks.

Keith