Shared vs static link performance hit --and Windows?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Tue Jul 8 12:47:18 EDT 2003

[I: statically-linked python is 25% faster than dynamically-linked on my
machine]

[Skip: explains that python possibly uses excessive function calls to
and fro shared libraries so that explains the difference]

Thanks, Skip; now if only someone more Windows-knowledgeable than me
could also comment on whether we could see a similar speed increase by
building a static Windows EXE...

I do have a computer with Visual Studio 6 available at work, but I don't
know much about VS[1] to answer this myself; I gave it a try, but I got
lost in the Project Settings and how to merge the pythoncore (the dll I
believe) and the python (the exe) projects.

[1] Although lately I did give a shot to compile a custom module for
haar image transforms following the directions in the docs; it was
trivial in Linux --kudos to all of you guys who worked on distutils--
and fairly easy on Windows, so I have both an .so and a .pyd with the
same functionality for my program...
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,