unconventional path syntax (was Re: path module)

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 8 14:08:44 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Hallvard> It's a long time since I used anything like that, but I think
>     Hallvard> Tops-20 filename paths looked like this:
>
>     Hallvard>     device:<dir.dir.dir>file.ext;version
>
>     Hallvard> where most components were optional.
>
> which is (not too surprisingly) very similar to VMS:
>
>     device:[dir.dir.dir]file.ext;version
>
> Skip

Which the Amiga's version borrows (borrowed) heavily from:

device:dir/dir/dir/file    (no filename extensions)

The nifty part was that the <device:> could be the name
of a physical device (such as "DF0:" meaning "floppy drive 0",
or a user-defined logical device (such as "LIBS:").
The latter was usually called an "assign", and you could let
it point to *multiple* locations in your filesystem *at once*.

Sorry--way off topic here, but the above path syntax
brings back some good memories ;-)

--Irmen de Jong