path module

Hallvard B Furuseth (nospam nospam) h.b.furuseth at usit.uio.no
Mon Jul 14 07:44:42 EDT 2003

Ian Bicking wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 09:52, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>> If there is going to be a New Wonderful Path module, I suggest you give
>> some thought to paths on systems that don't fit the simple Unix/Windows
>> path model.  A path to a filename may e.g. looks different from a path
>> to a directory.  (...)
>

> Interesting, but I think a bad idea.  (...)  If someone was using VMS
> paths, I would assume they would subclass path for that OS, adding the
> portions that applied.

It would be pointless to include _data structures_ for components that
are not supported on any system Python is ported to, but for subclassing
to make sense, some of the _interface_ would have to be in place.  Like
the possibility of usin path.joindir() vs. path.joinfile() or something
depending on whether the result should be a file or directory path.  And
just path.join() for people who don't care.  Assuming there will be a
join method, of course.

Also, you may need some special handling of 'device:' on Windows.

> I think it's unreasonable to expect people programming on normal
> platforms to pay attention to components like version, so even
> including it in a structured manner is asking for trouble.

I dunno.  People have already mentioned coming systems where versions
will be availbale.

--
Hallvard