anything new on the ternary operator?

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Mon Jul 7 06:47:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> Bob's phrasing of it was obviously overly confrontational, but I do find
> it at least a little unfortunate that the final decision on PEP 308 only
> came indirectly (meaning not as any form of widespread public
> announcement, but rather as a side point in a presentation at a local
> conference)

I'm sorry, I was going to let this slide by, but this comment made it
impossible. How the hell do you figure EuroPython, the biggest Python
conference in Europe and largely equivalent to the size of PyCon, is a
"local" conference?

By and large, I think EuroPython holds half the heritage of the venerable
IPCs, being way more international than PyCon. Announcements of new
developments are often done at conferences, especially the larger ones.
It has been said multiple times that Guido is likely to make an announcement
in EuroPython, and it was pretty easy to get the answer out on c.l.py soon
afterwards. While the PEP will eventually be updated, I am glad Guido thought
it was a higher priority to get 2.3b2 out the door in the little time he had
between EP and OSCON.

> There isn't a problem that PEPs and such voting processes are worthless
> -- obviously the BDFL has the final say -- but perhaps it would have
> been a little nicer to get an official position on the subject earlier.

Guido said that he wanted to let the discussion simmer down before he made
an official pronouncement. He also *did* consider the vote: if you remember,
there were a few interpretations. Guido chose the one who enforced
Condorset(sp?) semantics on the results, an arguably sane position considering
other free software projects use this voting method. According to this
interpretation, the vote resulted in "don't change".

--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.