A challenge to the ASCII proponents.

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:56:38 EDT 2003

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:

> That was my intention: to misspell as 'càfe' the french word 'café',
> and then search for it in google groups.  This is because the
> original greek word --used as an example by Alan, Martin etc--
> was misspelled as 'gi/gnwskw' instead of 'gignw/skw' (accent
> 'oxia' in the wrong letter, resulting in an inexistant word), so
> it's normal that a google groups search shows up Martin's UTF-8 post
> as the only one containing the word.

Apologies for the original misspelling. That's purely my fault. I
stopped studying ancient Greek 20 years ago (swapped it for the
hard-headed practicality of applied mathematics), these days mostly I
just remember the alphabet, and a couple of modern Greek words from
Greek vacations.

But I don't think the misspelling mattered for our exercise. The sole
purpose was to find out if <some-sequence-of-non-ascii-characters>
travelled correctly through UseNet.

Since we know what the misspelling was, I think the search engine
exercise we went through was acceptable, because the test was whether
our known search term would be correctly found or not.

The actual spelling was not important for the purposes of our
exercise, although again I apologise for the error.

Euxaristw, Christos.

--
alan kennedy