Static typing

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.nospam at removeme.free.fr
Fri Jul 25 16:15:48 EDT 2003

Michael Muller wrote:
> Is there currently any plan to introduce static typing in any future
> version of Python?

AARGGHHHH ! NO !! DON'T DO THAT !!! NEVER AGAIN !!!!

(sorry, uncontrolable nervous reaction... 3 valiums latter... : )

(I'm not entirely sure that "static typing" is the right
> term: what I'm talking about is the declaration of types for variables,
> parameters and function return values).

This is the right term. This is also the wrong thing for Python IMHO.

> I know there was a "types SIG" which introduced several proposals, but it
> expired quite a while ago, and I was wondering whether whether some
> consensus has been reached on the subject

<flame-war-mode='on'>
Yes :
dynamic typing is good a Good Thing(tm),
static typing is Evil(tm) !-)
</flame-war-mode>

Bruno