Confusing automated translators.

Francois Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Jul 15 10:24:17 EDT 2003

[John J. Lee]

> Alan Kennedy <alanmk at hotmail.com> writes:

> > I'd love to hear of other similar phrases.  And somehow I intuit
> > there's people in this ng who know lots of them :-)

> There are so many...

Automated translators which ignore punctuation are pretty fragile, too.
Here is a case where the exact same words are used, besides punctuation.
I read in one of Audouard's books ("De la connerie et des cons", if
I remember correctly), about Montcalm, a French Canadian military of
old times.  The history reports that he said:

   "Messieurs les Anglais, tirez les premiers!"

but Audouard wrote that he fears the correct writing should have been
something like:

   "Messieurs!  Les Anglais...  Tirez les premiers!"

P.S. - I confess I would have more difficulty relating this one to Python.
The word categorisation disambiguation program that I intend to rewrite
in Python, one of these days, would (correctly) yield the same results
for both sentences, so Python-wise for me, this is a non-issue! :-)