Sio serial module install problem with ActiveState

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jul 14 23:08:44 EDT 2003

Conrad wrote:

> I'll give them a shot tomorrow. USPP made me a little
> nervous, because frankly, it looks like it died a year
> and a half ago, with outstanding Linux bugs

Thanks for checking that out better than I did.  I was
worried about that myself, having seen nothing about it
for a very long time, but the name had stuck in my head.

> pyserial seemed from it's docs
> to require jython - which means pulling in a whole slew
> of third-party DLLs for Java.

No!  Try PySerial first, for sure.  It does NOT require
Jython, but does support it.  As the home page says,
"It provides backends for stadard (sic) Python running
on Windows, Linux, BSD (possibly any POSIX compilant system)
and Jython.  The module named "serial" automaticaly (sic)
selects the appropriate backed (sic)."

(Chris, if you'd like, I'll happily proofread that page
and correct a few spelling errors for you. ;-)

-Peter