Sio serial module install problem with ActiveState

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 15 10:18:59 EDT 2003

Gary Richardson wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > BTW, this serial printer is apparently pretty much a 'dump
> > and go' type device - the only thing the printer seems to
> > be capable of returning is a 4-byte error code after a special
> > error report command is sent to the printer - other than that,
> > all of the data and commands seem to move downstream only,
> > with no return from the printer expected. Is Sio overkill for
> > this, i.e. is there some incredibly simple "open a serial port
> > under Win32 for write only" command I'm missing in the basic
> > Python stuff?

> I've written a pretty simple serial I/O module that will do what you want.
> Email me directly if you would like a copy.

The benefit of the PySerial library is that it's cross-platform,
available without emailing you, fully documented, and most
important of all: if you find problems, you can fix them and
everyone else benefits.

Maybe you can contribute those parts of your own library which
are better than PySerial to the PySerial project and we can avoid
a proliferation of serial libraries in Python.

Or put the file on a web page somewhere and we can all poke away
at it, learn from it, and maybe incorporate the best parts into
PySerial.

-Peter