YATOPS (Yet Another Thread on Python's Speed) (was Re: HELP! Must choose language!)

Branimir Petrovic BranimirPetrovic at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 11:27:05 EST 2003

andy <andy at eastonwest.co.uk> wrote in message news:<mailman.1041907216.30028.python-list at python.org>...

> I had, years ago, written an incremental directory copier in Modula-2, so I
> decided to rewrite it in Python.  Works a treat:
>
> On a 394MB, P4/2000 windows XP pro w/s,  with 100Mb/s ethernet:
>
> From memory, when testing:
>     copy command: roughly 600K/s
>     explorer copy: roughly 500K/s
>     robocopy: roughly 1000K/s
>
> Today:
>     bulkloader.py: roughly 4000-8000K/s
>
> It uses a brute-force copy, i.e. just loads up each file and writes it to
> dest.  Good excuse to have extra memory! ;-)

Andy, would you mind showing the snippet of the critical part of your
"
just loads up each file and writes it to dest." statement. Not quite
see/understand what you mean (and how).

I will have to do something similar soon - move large folder trees
across the network to their ‘new home' and I planned of using robocopy
believing it is ‘the best game in town' for Windows platform.

Having fair amount of scripting experience of what's (not) achievable
using M$ pathetic scripting approach (FileSystemsObject & cousins),
I had impression that beating robocopy.exe using (any) scripting
language is just not in cards.

Branimir