MySQLdb and distutil errors?

Colin colindb at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 31 21:01:48 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

First off, let me say that I'm a Python newbie.  I just started
playing around with it, but I'm running into some problems trying to
get things installed.  I want to install the MySQLdb module, but when
I try to run "python2.2 setup.py build" for MySQLdb I get the
following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 6, in ?
    from distutils.core import setup
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

So okay, I don't have the distutils module.  I find that a little
weird, since I thought all later version of Python came with
distutils.  But anyways, I tried to install the distutils, and when
running "python2.2 setup.py install" for distutils I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 30, in ?
    packages = ['distutils', 'distutils.command'],
  File "distutils/core.py", line 101, in setup
    _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
  File "distutils/dist.py", line 130, in __init__
    setattr(self, method_name, getattr(self.metadata, method_name))
AttributeError: DistributionMetadata instance has no attribute
'get___doc__'

I'm really not sure what's going on.  But I'm guessing that either (a)
I need to reinstall Python, or (b) my path/environment isn't set up
correctly.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Colin