Distributing Python apps

Norman Skrzypinski zypin at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 4 21:29:52 EST 2003

Gerhard Häring wrote :
> Norman Skrzypinski <zypin at sympatico.ca> [2003-01-04 20:06 -0500]:
> > In the end, I request that you very capable Python experts give me a way
> > give my customers a 750 KB app.
>
> I've pondered creating a seperately installable Python runtime, with
> several net-installable packages (wxPython, ...). The installer of a
> py2exe-packaged Python app could then just 'depend' on this runtime.
>
> This would just be a runtime environment, and not intended for
> developers at all.
>
> > That's not too much to ask, I think. [...]
>
> You can ask all you want, but in the end either somebody will have to
> pay for this or somebody intrisically interested in gettings this done
> will have to implement it herself.
>
> Gerhard

Gerhard,

The people who do this will contribute their time, their thought and their
effort.  They will do it, as have all of the contributors to open source,
because they can and because they wish to do so.

And, when I use their contributions, I will try to find a way to return a
portion of my profits to them.

Thinkers are not well rewarded in this world.  They contribute knowledge,
which is, most often, given freely.  But, knowledge is what is most
valuable.  It's certainly worth much more than putting a puck or a ball into
a net.

Let's try to design a way to fairly compensate the people who give us their
best thoughts.

Norm