Distributing Python apps

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Sat Jan 4 20:26:34 EST 2003

* Norman Skrzypinski <zypin at sympatico.ca> [2003-01-04 20:06 -0500]:

> David LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > In the end, it's up to you as to whether or not you want to take a lot
> > longer to develop the same app in VB or C++ compared to the relatively
> minor
^^

Yuck! Please don't use software broken beyond hope to post or,
alternatively, repair it: http://jump.to/oe-quotefix

> > inconvenience of a slightly longer d/l time for your users. IMO, Python is
> > the clear winner.
>
> In the end, I request that you very capable Python experts give me a way to
> give my customers a 750 KB app.

I've pondered creating a seperately installable Python runtime, with
several net-installable packages (wxPython, ...). The installer of a
py2exe-packaged Python app could then just 'depend' on this runtime.

This would just be a runtime environment, and not intended for
developers at all.

> That's not too much to ask, I think. [...]

You can ask all you want, but in the end either somebody will have to
pay for this or somebody intrisically interested in gettings this done
will have to implement it herself.

Gerhard
--
Favourite database:             http://www.postgresql.org/