Copyright on the Python and Python-console icons?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 15 09:18:10 EST 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> [Mike C. Fletcher]
> > Okay, thanks all.  I'm thinking I'll have to find a way to blackmail
> > the board (or at least Tim) into not suing me :) .
>
> [Erik Max Francis]
> > At this point I'd say either secure written permission or take a pass on
> > the idea.
>
> I wouldn't <wink>.  Mike got a public statement from a PSF director (me)
> that he thinks Mike's use is fine.  Anything beyond that is going to drag
> lawyers and expense into it, not to mention non-existent "spare time" from
> other PSF directors to bother with it.  If Mike is still uncomfortable, he
> can make a formal request to the PSF board, and fritter away more of his
> time worrying about a non-issue too.  Note this point in the PSF's mission
> statement:
>
>     http://www.python.org/psf/mission.html
>
>     + Establishes PSF licenses, ensuring the rights of the public to
>       freely obtain, use, redistribute, and modify intellectual property
>       held by the PSF.
>
> Copyrights are among the kinds of "intellectual property" the PSF holds,
and
> everything in the Python distro under the PSF copyright is covered by the
> PSF license.  So long as Mike doesn't violate the license, he doesn't even
> need to ask permission -- the PSF license explicitly grants him permission
> to use, redistribute (and etc) the intellectual property held by the PSF.
> So if Mike pushes this, the advice we'll pay our lawyers to give him is
that
> he pay his lawyer to give him advice on whether he's conforming to the
terms
> of the PSF license.  If Mike doesn't push this, he can use the icons in
> peace and nobody will complain.
>
> win-win-or-lose-lose-it's-a-tough-decision<0.9-wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Just in case Mike has any further worries on this score, he should note that
I use one of the icons (with permission from Mark, as I rememebr) in "Python
Web Programming".

so-when-the-psu-come-to-get-him-they'll-have-to-get-through-me-first-ly
'rs  - steve
Bring your musical instrument to PyCon!    http://www.python.org/pycon/