Best Python editor (under Linux)

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Sat Jan 4 12:07:06 EST 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:09:08 -0000, Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:23:23 +0100, Martin Christensen
> ><knightsofspamalot-factotum at gvdnet.dk> wrote:
> >> What's more interesting, it looks like the vi camp is starting to chase
> >> Emacs, because the things that are being implemented for Vim is exactly what
> >> we've been doing all along for Emacs. Ironic, isn't it?
> >
> >    I doubt we'll ever see a newsreader and email client in vim's scripting
> >lanuage.  BTW, pick one.  It has four that I am aware of and three of them are
> >discussed here heavilty.  Perl, Python and Ruby.  As I said before, it is the
> >penchant for craming everything and the kitchen sink into the editor which has
> >no business being there.
>
> Maybe a different concept of the "craming" would help. IOW, ISTM letting
> "everything and and the kitchen sink" be accessible through an editor interface
> interface does not contitute "craming" those things into the editor.
>
> News readers and email clients have to be written with a lot text manipulation
> features that have much in common with primitives used in writing editors, so if
> you wanted to write a full-featured and extensible news reader or email client,
> what route would you take?
>
> Suppose there were a Python module called tme.py which you could import and get
> all kinds of handy classes for holding chunks of text and methods for manipulating
> them, and tapping into file objects as sources and sinks, etc., etc., would you
> not tend to use that for your news reader or email client project?
> I'll assume you would ;-)

me, too :-)

> Ok, now suppose tme.py when run as a program started an interactive shell that
> presented a nicely featured editor, which happened to have some simple editing
> features you wanted for composing email or news posts, etc., so the basic
> composition problem was solved. Would you build on this interface?

If it would allow to embed e.g. a code-editor-ui into another ui then i
would probably build on it.  Example: GUI-editing widgets are often
allowed to be placed into another widget.  side question:
is this possible at all with curses and 'vim'?

> BTW, FWIW, I cut my editing teeth on TECO, but I tend to use vim (or vi for non-gui) lately,
> unless I'm using the builtin for MSVC++6's IDE (which (the IDE) is hard to beat for stepping
> through code). I guess I will have to move to emacs for real geek creds though ;-)

or you write tme.py :-)

    holger

--
"Why are people killing each other when there is so much fun stuff
 to be had through friendly cooperation?" (Bengt Richter on c.l.py)