Best Python editor (under Linux)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Sat Jan 4 14:55:29 EST 2003

On 4 Jan 2003 15:40:04 GMT, Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net> wrote:
> Ok, now suppose tme.py when run as a program started an interactive shell
> that presented a nicely featured editor, which happened to have some simple
> editing features you wanted for composing email or news posts, etc., so the
> basic composition problem was solved. Would you build on this interface?

    No.  Furthermore I'd rip it out of the module to converse space.  The
proper way to do things is to create the application and /call the editor/.
Why?  Because everyone, as this thread has proven, has their own favorite
editor.  Forcing them to use what you think is best is unintuative to pretty
much everyone but you and a waste of a lot of programming time now and in the
future.  Why?

    "Gee, editor foo can do feature bar, can you include it in your mail
client?"

    I've seen it far too many times in nearly a half dozen email clients in
the past 10+ years to ever want to fall into that mistake.  Ever.

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days