emacs python mode problem

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Jan 28 04:46:56 EST 2003

Andrew McGregor wrote:

> That quote effectively turns the line into a comment (it turns a
> function
> call into a list constant, and then does nothing with it).
>
> If however you're quoting part of something like this from my
> .xemacs/custom.el then it's OK (but notice the different syntax).
>
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(paren-mode (quote sexp) nil (paren))
>  '(lazy-shot-mode t nil (lazy-shot))
>  '(fast-lock-mode t nil (fast-lock))
>  '(line-number-mode t)
>  '(py-indent-offset 4)
>  '(font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock)))

Very astute observation.  I had presumed that the (quoted) s-expression
was a standalone entry.  If it was cut and pasted from a part of a more
involved s-expression, then certainly it could have done something more
meaningful.  (Although from the context, I still suspect my suspicions
were right, and it was a standalone s-expression that (accidentally) did
nothing.

/  \ The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
\__/ Oscar Wilde
    HardScience.info / http://www.hardscience.info/
 The best hard science Web sites that the Web has to offer.