X#, a new Msft functional language similar to Lisp; Python prominently mentioned

Gary Duzan gduzan at bbn.com
Thu Jan 16 17:25:16 EST 2003

In article <v28gd3mca7099e at news.supernews.com>,
John Roth <johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote:

>"Ron Stephens" <rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:3E2364CC.7060604 at earthlink.net...
>>
>> Could Python's functional programming style be a good fit for XML
>data?
>> Could Python be extended to enhance such capabilities, if those
>> capabilities have any validity?
>
>Before thinking about this, I'd like to know what afficianados of real
>functional languages think of the idea. I don't know enough to figure
>if functional languages have a real benefit in the area, or whether it's
>all enthusiasm and too much caffine.

   If I seriously wanted to do lots of XML-centric programming,
I'd be looking at Water:

	http://www.waterlang.org/

I heard a presentation on it, and was rather impressed. You can
think of it as Common Lisp, but with <X>foo</X> (or <X>foo</> for
short) instead of (X "foo").

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies
					A Verizon Company