Copyright on the Python and Python-console icons?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 16 09:24:31 EST 2003

"Erik Max Francis" <max at alcyone.com> wrote ...
> Tim Peters wrote:
>
> > Which one?  The definition of public domain is conventional.
>
> Yes, and explicitly waiving copyright (or having it expire) and
> releasing works into the public domain is explicitly allowed for in
> copyright law.

Although, of course, we shouldn't overlook the proclivity of Congress to
extend copyright terms arbitrarily so that the families of 1960s pop starts
will be able to live comfortably off a royalty stream that would otherwise
have expired. So you can't necessarily count on expiry: one almost serious
contender for the updated copyright term was "forever, minus one day".
America is just plain barmy sometimes ... but I've bored this group on that
theme enough times already.

> > The rest is
> > from private communication with a Famous IP Lawyer during Python's
> > licensing
> > struggles, and I don't have permission to repeat that here.
>
> Uh huh, convenient.

That *seems* like it might be intended to imply that Tim could repeat the
advice if he wanted, but chooses not to. If I'm correct in this
interpretation, I think you're not doing Tim justice. If he could repeat the
advice I'm sure he would, since he's well known for helping those who
apparently cannot help themselves (and if there were fewer of this latter
category then threads like this would not last as long, and there wouldn't
be 200+ posts a day on c.l.py).

Now for something more productive: how many angels can dance on the head of
a pin?

can't-help-myself-either-ly y'rs  - steve
Bring your musical instrument to PyCon!    http://www.python.org/pycon/