Commercial IDEs: is it worth it?

Doug Glenn dglenn at charter.net
Wed Jan 22 18:36:27 EST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 06:08, Thomas Weholt wrote:
> Opinions on what, where and why to pay for a Python-friendly IDE
> would be appreciated.

I use Komodo (personal edition 49$), Wingide (Standard, 149$) and
BlackAdder Personal Edition (beta, 49$).

Call me stupid for it if you want. :)

Komodo for its project management and license for both Windows and
Linux. version for the same price. (I _think_. I use it on the same
computer).

Wingide for the excellant source code brower and the source management
tools. I prefer the look and feel of Komodo, but Wingide has far more
features.

BlackAdder for the PyQT integration. Although I could have used the open
source items to build the GUIs with the free QTDesigner, the
documentation for PyQT on it was better than anything I found on the
web regarding PyQT even though it is not finished.

Personally as a newbie to Python, I am looking for all the help I can
get without resorting to showing my abject ignorance in the list :).

On a personal note...
One other reason to purchase.. they wrote it for Linux and I want to
support their efforts. I even buy autoupdates for my distro so they
stay in business rather than downloading it. There is no such thing as
a free lunch. I try to make sure put my money where my mouth is <smile>

-----
Doug