[Python-Dev] [ann] Minimal Python project

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Jan 11 04:12:37 EST 2003

"Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." wrote:

> This will be really great for OS distributions and system
> administration.
> Being able to compile Python with a simple make/gcc combo and not
> requiring a full development environment would be wonderful.

I certainly support the idea of a Minimal Python, but don't see how at
its core it would require any less of a "full" development environment
than the current CPython does.  You'll still need to build it, you'll
still need make and gcc.  I don't recall CPython's build sequence
requiring anything more than make, GCC, install, and perhaps supporting
in-Python material (such as automatically make .pyc files for everything
under the lib directory), and don't see Minimal Python changing that.
You'll still need make and gcc, you'll still need to install stuff
somewhere and set it up.

/  \ I sleep and dream that life is / All beauty
\__/ Lamya
    CAGE / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/cage/
 A cellular automaton simulation system in Python.