[Python-Dev] [ann] Minimal Python project

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Jan 11 09:37:34 EST 2003

"David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net> writes:

> I was thinking about something along these lines but with a different slant:
> an "essential" python that's stripped way down and that could be ROM-able.
> In the same way that Java is used in the Sharp Zarius, I think it would be
> way cool to have an os/python cored PDA. I wonder if it could be done in
> 16mb or less, 8mb being the next logical number...

Pippy (a port of Python 1.5.2) fits on an 8mb Palm with no problem
whatsoever. It doesn't have GUI support, but I've got LispMe - a
scheme with full GUI support - on the same machine.

Pippy has lost some functionality - see <URL:
http://pippy.sourceforge.net/ > for details - which minimal Python
should make easy to add back, since they might well be in python
instead of C.

        <mike