SQL null conversion

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sun Jan 26 21:57:23 EST 2003

"Martin Maney" <maney at pobox.com> wrote ...
> Gerhard H?ring <gerhard.haering at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Aha. Your problem goes away if you use the DB-API way of quoting.
>
> I would probably like that.  Is it documented anywhere?
>
> > this, it's probably time to read the DB-API specification [1] ;-)
>
> I have.  The basic premise of writing to a more or less database
> independent API appeals to me.  The "specification", however, doesn't
> appear to contain the words "quote", "quoting", "quoted", etc.  :-(
>
> Python seems to call it a "specification" whenever some doc reaches the
> "covers 90% of normal usage" state.  Sometimes that's good enough, but
> I suspect it's at the root of a lot of the half-baked reinventions of
> various wheels that litter the vaults... and many more than never
> become that visible.

This is open source. You are unquestionably right that things aren't always
documented to perfection. You can help by producing updates that new users
will find more comprehensible. And, of course, Python isn't alone in this
respect. I'm hoping that the forthcoming PyCon conference sprint will have
at least part of its focus on the documentation.

regards
Bring your musical instrument to PyCon!    http://www.python.org/pycon/