Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Tue Jan 7 18:48:01 EST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, James Huang wrote:

> Perl and Python programmers are all material witnesses
> of how scripting can greatly improve productivity. That's
> why scripting languages enjoy great success. Scripting
> means that we can issue OS commends from within a
> full-fledged programming language -- a scripting language.
>
> Have you ever thought about scripting more areas, such
> as SQL, XML, EJB, SGML, HTTP, E-mail and GUI, the way you
> script OS commands, all at once? Think about it!

Heehee... we're already doing that. I guess you haven't used Python much,
huh? :)

> Perhaps back then, it was satisfactory enough to script
> just OS commands. Not any more! Today, SQL, XML, HTML,
> HTTP and E-mail are a part of our everyday lives. A
> language tool capable of scripting all these will put
> tremendous power in the hands of innovative programmers.
> The good news is, such a tool has emerged -- JudoScript.

Oh... this is an advertisement. Never mind.

> JudoScript is a general-purpose, Java scripting,
> multi-domain language. It is a general-purpose
> programming language, fully capable of Java scripting,
> and supports many applcation features in a
> domain-specific way that include:

Could you please explain how scripting, e.g. ActiveX (per the article on
your site) is any better (heck, any _different_ for that matter) than
doing it in, e.g. Python? I looked at the example code and it is nearly
identical to the Python equivalent (well, I only looked at the Internet
Explorer example - once I saw that it was virtually identical to the
Python version I stopped reading).

> What about Python and Perl? One thing you need to

I got a kick out of this statement on your site:

"which is a much better effort than Python libraries because Java is an
established system programming language , designed for and capable of
building big software applications"

I guess I don't know who your intended audience is, because to me such a
statement really lowers your credibility. If you'd like I'd be happy to
help rewrite it to at least make it accurate.

Have fun,
Dave