Python use growing or shrinking

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Tue Jan 21 21:31:29 EST 2003

Greg Brunet wrote:
> Just as a point of information, I was reading this article about Java
> and the recent ruling that MS must include it in Windows & .NET
> (http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/01/21/java/print.html). It
> had a link to this site (http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm) which ranks
> Python as a "B" status language with declining popularity.
>
> There's only a general discussion of their methodology, and I'm not
> arguing that one should choose a language solely because of it's
> popularity or rate of increase/decrease (and what's up with RPG having
> the second fastest growth rate!?!).  Still, it's it provides another
> viewpoint on 'the language wars'.

Question is: is it a weapon or a view on language wars?

I know a lot of programmers who are currently getting
into python.  Python usage certainly isn't decreasing in
my world.  I certainly don't take random job offers,
advertisements or randomg google searches as a significant
indicator especially for free software developments.

But free softare actually *drives* the web and email networks
which .Net & Java types are constantly *hyping* about.
For a more serious source regarding my last statement
look e.g. at:

    http://www.netcraft.com/survey

regards,

    holger