PEP 267 improvement idea (fwd)

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Tue Jan 14 07:42:20 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:25:56PM +0200, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Since the PEP's author never replied (and the PEP wasn't updated), I
> thought I'd float the idea.  Perhaps somebody will also answer my
> questions below on how the cross-module part was intended to work...
>
> --
> Beni Cherniavsky <cben at tx.technion.ac.il>

Take a look at http://python.org/sf/606098

This patch speeds up dictionary lookup by name enough to make schemes
like PEPs 266, 267 and 280 quite unnecessary. I know Guido likes the
idea but the implementation is still far from complete. It does
demonstrate the concepts and attainable performance. Unfortunately, I
don't have time for this. if you or anyone else want to work on it
I'll be glad to help.

    Oren