More usenet usage statistics, by programming language

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Jan 25 21:02:02 EST 2003

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:26:56 GMT, zenguyuno at yahoo.com wrote:

>"Aaron K. Johnson" wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> For what its worth, I've updated my usenet language stats (interpret them how
>> you will)
>>
>> This time, the data reflects the actual number of DIFFERENT posters to each
>> group in the last 200 posts to each group, as opposed to just the total posts
>> to the group.
><snip>
>This is very interesting to me.  I can suggest an improvement, if you
>want to spend some more time on this.  Instead of using the last 2000
>posts, use the last week or month.  A popular language will get 2000
>posts much faster than an unpopular language.
>
>I hope you redo it in this way.

Actually, I think a better measure might be counting distinct posters with a
minimum of two posts. This would indicate interest (e.g., dialog or more than
one question) more strongly than a single post, IWT. A table including both
would be interesting. I agree on time interval vs flat latest count also.
I guess you might expect spikes around significant announcements (good or bad)
which could skew results from different languages.

Another interesting measure might be the aggregate volume of unquoted text vs total,
and those numbers divided by number of unique posters, for average level of interest.

Regards,
Bengt Richter