Strange windows behavior

Chris Lyon chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 14:13:39 EST 2003

I'm not sure how this has happened but I'd love an explanation of how
it could be achieved.

This happens on all installation of 2.1.3, 2.2.2 and I assume it must
be a characteristic of my machine but how have I managed to do it?

if I run idle python interface works as expected.

I type:-

if 1: 'enter key' print 'spam'

all behaves as expected the print 'spam' indents

If I try the same on the command line after typing python

 the line after the 1: displays 3 dots BUT puts the print directly
below the if, on pressing Enter this produces syntax error as you
would expect,
If I add  a tab by hand before print 'spam' it works as expected.
However the cursor always returns to the first column when auto
indentation should be working.

How is this possible, different responses from python? Both versions
(idle and command line ) are returning the same version numbers, I've
unistalled and rebooted enough times to convince myself it's
happening, Do I need a complete operating reinstallation + patches to
correct this or have I found another section of the manuals I haven't
read properly?