Python newbie looking into communications...

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat Jan 25 21:48:52 EST 2003

> I'm looking into writing a small application that can run on multiple
> platforms (linux, windows, irix) that needs simple communications with a
> Visual Basic.Net application. I'm writing both apps, and the main app
> *must* be vb.net.
>
> I'd like the little Python apps that run on several machines to be able
> to communicate back and forth with the main vb.net app using (possibly)
> udp communications. I don't want the extra headaches involved in
> maintaining open connections (TCP)...something along the lines of:
>
> SendData(MachineName,Data)
>
> Since I'm a newbie to Python, any tips/directions I should look into?
> I'm still exploring language possibilities, and Python's interests me
> the most so far....portability is important.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!
> --
> Sam J. Marrocco
> Sr. Visual Effects Artist/R&D
> Travelling Pictures/GTN
> Inferno, Flame, Houdini, Maya, All that cool stuff!
> "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

Boy, dod you pick the right time to ask this question.  There is
a related thread about this right now.

Start here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-January/141379.html

short version -- you really don't want to use UDP.

Laura Creighton

ps if what you are looking for is an asynchronous framework, check out
Twisted www.twistedmatrix.com.  Actually check it out anyway just for
fun.