Copyright on the Python and Python-console icons?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Jan 15 00:18:32 EST 2003

Tim Peters wrote:

> The question is why Mike should be more afraid of getting sued by the
> PSF
> than you are?  The PSF also holds the copyright on the files he's
> asking
> about, and Mike has the same license *from* the PSF to use them as you
> have.
> Now anyone at all can sue Mike for anything at all, but since the PSF
> holds
> the copyright on those files, only the PSF has legal standing to sue
> him for
> copyright violation.  Telling him he should be afraid of that remains,
> in my
> eyes, bizarre.  That doesn't mean he won't be sued <wink>.

You keep emphasizing the word _afraid_, which I never used.  I never
told him he should be _afraid_ of getting sued.  I simply said that the
safest course of action -- as it is in any legal situation -- is to get
explicit permission in the form of a piece of paper with a signature on
it.

He asked for information about the legality of using certain copyrighted
materials, and was met with an ambiguous response -- a response which
disclaimed its own legal applicability.  At this point it's only
sensible to secure explicit permission or not bother; it sounded, after
all, like using these materials was not crucial to his project anyway.

You're the one trying to inflate this into a huge issue; I simply gave
him standard, reasonable advice on the use of copyrighted mateirals.

/  \ Principles have no real force except when one is well fed.
\__/ Mark Twain
    The laws list / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/laws/
 Laws, rules, principles, effects, paradoxes, etc. in physics.