best college for computer science major

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Jan 9 14:29:58 EST 2003

On 2003-01-09, Van Gale wrote:

> [...] Or maybe you think there should be 15 million "best" ways to teach
> computer science so that we can all have different individual approaches
> to programming.Each of us should invent our own programming language and
> only use that?

That would be fun <wink>.  But you seem to suggest that each person should
invent just a single language; I must disagree here.

> The original statement is debatable.I think there can be differences.  The
> school I attended had a single lowly VAX with barely enough disk space for
> projects of any size.I had to erm... use modem banks at major universities
> to get access to Arpanet.My school didn't even know what Arpanet was and
> finally got a "shared connectïon" somehow with Carnegie-Mellon in the mid
> 90's.In other words they had pity on us and gave us a sliver of their
> bandwidth.Instead of using BSD if I went to Berkeley for example, I had to
> use VMS with DEC BASIC as the only installed language.Of course I was
> reasonably happy about that because many large universities were still
> pushing FORTRAN and PL/I on IBM mainframes.

This examples makes trusting every person to invent a good language look
favorable to trusting the school to to teach a good existing language.

compulsively-language-designing-ly y'rs,

Holy resolution for a holy war: the Torah stores most numbers as
little-endian (e.g. "seven and twenty and a hundred years")!