relative newbie looking for a python ide recommendation

hidden hidden at hidden.com
Thu Feb 13 12:26:55 EST 2003

Up until now, I've been doing my python hacking using emacs on linux and
idle on Windows XP. Now that I'm getting more serious about the language,
I'd like to use an ide. The three candidates (for me) are:

o Archaeopteryx's Wing IDE ($150)
o ActiveState's VisualPython ($300)
o pyeclipse, an "add-in" to the Eclipse IDE (http://www.eclipse.org/) (BSD
license)

I've tried Wing and its reasonable. I use Microsoft's VS7 in other settings,
so VisualPython
is intriquing. But as I understand it, one of its main developers recently
left ActiveState,
so that leaves a question in my mind. Pyeclipse has the right price tag, but
it's just getting
off the ground.

Does anyone have experience with some of these products? Would you recommend
them?
Is VisualPython really worth $300, especially since it doesn't produce MSIL
code? Having
a visual debugger, code completion and a class browser are worthwhile.

Thanks.