relative newbie looking for a python ide recommendation

Thomas Guettler pan-newsreader at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Feb 13 13:15:11 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:26:55 +0100, hidden wrote:

> Up until now, I've been doing my python hacking using emacs on linux and
> idle on Windows XP. Now that I'm getting more serious about the
> language, I'd like to use an ide. The three candidates (for me) are:
>
> o Archaeopteryx's Wing IDE ($150)
> o ActiveState's VisualPython ($300)
> o pyeclipse, an "add-in" to the Eclipse IDE (http://www.eclipse.org/)
> (BSD license)

I am happy with emacs. Why do you need an IDE?

If you want to develop GUI application, you need to a GUI library first.

There are several designers for wxPython and pygtk has one too. I tried
PythonCard but it can't handle tree controls and tables. Now I code
everything in python again. Not the best solution but it works.

 thomas

--
Thomas Guettler <guettli at thomas-guettler.de>
http://www.thomas-guettler.de