PEP308: Yet another syntax proposal

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Mon Feb 10 22:05:40 EST 2003

James J. Besemer wrote:

> holger krekel wrote:
> >>Doh.
> >>
> >>You silly.
> >

> > This is not a great way to argue.  Despite the huge amount of
> > discussions we have managed to have a rather friendly discussion.
> > Why do you want to change it?
>
> I apologize.  I meant no disrespect.
>
> Although you and I have had friendly conversations in the past, I see here,
> after a hiatus, I assumed a familiarity that was not merited.

you didn't say "silly" to me.  but excuse is welcome anyway.

> > As if Andrew doesn't know that.  To me it's silly to read his
> > paragraph as if he was just complaining about 'writeln' and
> > missed the point.
>
> Somebody other than Andrews was complaining about 'writeln'.

In this thread we just developed?  There it was Andrew Dalke, i think.
I think good real-world examples and some statistics can't hurt for
sorting out the situation, btw.

anyway, i try to step back from further PEP-308 discussions for the
time beeing (second try).  I just go to sleep that should help.
One last note.  This discussion has helped me on several accounts
and especially recognizing that i like python to *not* be an
expression-oriented language.  Let nice statements and indentation
do the job so we don't regularly have to stop parsing some
super-clever expressions manually.

regards,

    holger