Physical libraries (was: Python and p2p)

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Thu Feb 6 21:53:45 EST 2003

Quoting Cameron Laird (claird at lairds.com):
> In article <mH6dnZmrg4In_N-jXTWcpg at speakeasy.net>,
> A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> 			.
> >They're not suitable for learning *computer science*, on the other hand; all
> >of the computer titles are how-to guides, not texts.  The catalog lists
> >Knuth's TAoCP, but not Foley/van Dam, Cormen/Leiserson/Rivest, or
> >Gray/Reuter, to pick three well-known texts off the top of my head. I'd need
> >to find a university library for that sort of thing.
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> OR USE INTER-LIBRARY LOAN (ILL).  If your experience
> is at all like mine (in North America), ILL's conveni-
> ence and potential will stagger you.

I met some folks from Poland when I was in my LIS program, and they
had similar programs available. I would be a little surprised if most
of Europe didn't have some equivalent; England and Germany both have a
reputation for pretty good library service, and I thought France was
pretty passionate about these things, too ... well, as far as passion
goes, for libraries. :)

I also heard reports that such service was available in at least some
places in Africa. Maybe those are exceptional cases; maybe only
university libraries. And South and Central America, I have no news
on.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "That's it! I've had it with your sassy mouth!
<geoff at gerrietts net>     I didn't want to do this! (Well, actually,