Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Tue Feb 4 17:38:30 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Brandon Van Every wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >> pretty soon I'll need 2D GUI elements.  It's an awfully big pain in
> >> the ass
> >> using WIN32 for that, so I thought I'd see what's available.  Along
> >> the
> >
> > I suggest Qt.  It's pretty good from C++, even better from Python.
>
> The problem is, since I'm designing on a 25+ year timeline, I cannot trust
> any small outside vendor with a proprietary solution.

Either I am completely misunderstanding what you're saying, or your
credibility here just went through the floor. If Trolltech (maker of Qt)
is a "small outside vendor", then what does that make *you*? According to
your resume, you've had ONE job in your entire *career*, and that at a
company that is now defunct.

A twenty-five year timeline?!? Are you nuts? How can anything you're doing
now even be *relevant* in 25 years? For comparison, consider the vast
amount of software written in 1978 that is still running on today's PC's.

The processors, languages, and even the paradigms that will be in use in
25 years haven't even been dreamt up yet. Heck, what highly optimized
software did even 5 years ago is now done in bargain 3D hardware.

> They're not going to be around.  Actually, I can't trust much of
> anything that isn't either code I've developed, or open source.

Will *you* be around? I'm depressed on your behalf with the thought of you
still hacking away on your project a quarter century from now.

Hopefully that was a hilarious typo, otherwise see ya in 2028...
-Dave