Python training time (was)

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Thu Feb 6 15:11:08 EST 2003

Mark Charsley wrote:
> In article <fZD_9.914$ek4.91595 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
> vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com (Brandon Van Every) wrote:
>
>> year.  By the end of that time, I'd done every single abstruse thing
>> possible with C++.  Really ridiculous multiple inheritance templates
>> with cyclical virtual base classes and whatnot.
>
> Stuff that experienced C++ developers view as a bad thing.

I wasn't all that experienced at the time.  So I learned the advantages and
disadvantages.  In fairness, it all worked exactly as planned.  But it would
have taken someone with mondo expertise to design and maintain.  Later I
developed a taste for Keep It Simple Stupid, which has served me well.

>> Recently I brushed
>> up on some of the "new" ANSI C++ stuff.  A small pile of additional
>> things I don't need much.
>
> Things like smart pointers, standard containers and the like. Which
> make writing leak-free, high performance applications far more easy.

I don't even use "new" for the vast majority of my current problems!  I
don't reference count.  Every class knows what they own and what they don't.
I'm not in this infinitely flexible "link everything to everything" universe
that so many OO guys seem to swim in.

> Pre-ANSI C++ is_vastly_ less productive than python, but then it's
> vastly less productive than C++ as well.

KISS.

20% of the world is real.