Perl Vs Python

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 26 17:18:22 EST 2003

"John Smith" <someone at microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<tn87a.275521$vm2.210711 at rwcrnsc54>...
> Steve:
>
> I am not trying to get anyone to fight anyone, quite he contrary.. At 56 I
> have spent a great deal of time/energy helping people to get along, or at
> least understand each others. I am probably more proud of this than my
> technical achievement (and I have done some neat stuff...).
>
> I am just a software enginner, with need for something like Perl, or Python
> (or may be both), trying to figure out what would be the best investment of
> my time.
>
> So far I have done a lot of text files processing in just plain C, (and the
> old TECO too, some sed).
>
> I wish people were not so cynical, and see bad thing in a simple question,
> with no (none whatsoever) bad intention.
>
> Did you spend ( and I) your time answering the question, I may have learned
> something.
>
> And by the way, if one or both of the languages has some superiority, so be
> it, then maybe the other will either complement or bu enhanced. This is
> supposed to be the spirit of the FSF, that I greatly endorse. The KED and
> GNOME story may tell you something.
>
> If there is bigotry somewhere, let´s just reconize it for what it is and
> move on.(This may be positive too).
>
> And there is also nothing wrong at preffering a language, just for personal
> taste... And being able to say why, is quite a good thing. (Refer to Donald
> Knuth, or Bertrand Meyer, and others...)
>
> After lots of C, I still prefer Pascal (excepted for low level code), that I
> find cleaner, and more object oriented (file of records!) but this is
> another story...
>
> Thanks buddy.
>
> John Smith (not my real name).

If you prefer Pascal to C, chances are that you will prefer Python to
Perl. For what concerns Steve Holden's answer, you should understand
that "Python vs. Perl" is a a typical trolling question that has been
answered hundreds of times. Better  doing some previous research than
asking that ;)

                                                        Michele