Perl Vs Python

John Smith someone at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 26 14:15:37 EST 2003

Steve:

I am not trying to get anyone to fight anyone, quite he contrary.. At 56 I
have spent a great deal of time/energy helping people to get along, or at
least understand each others. I am probably more proud of this than my
technical achievement (and I have done some neat stuff...).

I am just a software enginner, with need for something like Perl, or Python
(or may be both), trying to figure out what would be the best investment of
my time.

So far I have done a lot of text files processing in just plain C, (and the
old TECO too, some sed).

I wish people were not so cynical, and see bad thing in a simple question,
with no (none whatsoever) bad intention.

Did you spend ( and I) your time answering the question, I may have learned
something.

And by the way, if one or both of the languages has some superiority, so be
it, then maybe the other will either complement or bu enhanced. This is
supposed to be the spirit of the FSF, that I greatly endorse. The KED and
GNOME story may tell you something.

If there is bigotry somewhere, let´s just reconize it for what it is and
move on.(This may be positive too).

And there is also nothing wrong at preffering a language, just for personal
taste... And being able to say why, is quite a good thing. (Refer to Donald
Knuth, or Bertrand Meyer, and others...)

After lots of C, I still prefer Pascal (excepted for low level code), that I
find cleaner, and more object oriented (file of records!) but this is
another story...

Thanks buddy.

John Smith (not my real name).

news:7DT6a.104385$zL6.65899 at news2.central.cox.net...