Python / C++ integration

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Fri Feb 7 06:01:38 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:29:57AM +0000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 05:25:51AM +0000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > [..snip..]
> >> What are the pitfalls of trying to get classes to interoperate
> >> between Python and C++?
> >
> > Have you looked at boost::python?
>
> I bookmarked it.  Haven't so much as read the 0th page of the website.  What
> have been your experiences regarding the integration issues I raised?  Is
> Boost popular / prime time / de facto?

I haven't used it, but from what I've seen of it, it will definitely be what
I look at first if I wish to use some C++ in Python[1].  It's also the most
commonly recommended module for extending Python with C++, from what I've
seen... the only other alternative that springs to mind (short of doing
everything manually) is SWIG.

Basically, you'd be better off reading the home page than listening to me[2]
-- but I must say its sample code looks very promising :)

-Andrew.

[1] Although, so far, I've only occasionally wanted to use C in Python, and
    C++ never.  For most of what I do, Python is plenty fast enough.

[2] I generally find scanning a project's documentation is more productive
    than asking usenet, though... if that wasn't enough I'd probably search
    the c.l.p archives on google, and only if all that failed would I stick
    my neck out on c.l.p as a last resort ;)