interactive interpreter, debugger and broken arrow keys with Mac OS X 10.2 Terminal

Joe Block jpb at ApesSeekingKnowledge.net
Mon Feb 17 07:15:22 EST 2003

In article <mhC2a.92587$Ec4.79288 at rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>,
 Jim Correia <noone at nowhere.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <mailman.1045096428.18523.python-list at python.org>,
>  Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:12:14AM +0000, Jim Correia wrote:
> > > When using the interactive interpreter or debugger with the Mac OS X
> > > Terminal my arrow keys don't work as I'd expect (as they do in the
> > > shell, gdb, etc.). Instead I get escape sequences like: ^[[A.
> > >
> > > How do I fix this?
> >
> >   Enable readline support.  This may be as simple as importing the
> > "readline" module, or as difficult as building Python from source.
>
> At the risk of asking the obvious, where can I read about this
> (importing readline) support?
>
> Maybe I'll have to build from source - there is nothing with readline in
> its name in /usr/lib./python2.2. I'm using the python binary
> distribution that came with the OS install.

Make things a lot easier on yourself - go to http://fink.sourceforge.net
and install fink.  Once it's installed, installing python (and a lot of
other unix utilities) is as easy as "fink install python"