Project needs a name (was: Summary: Python.org as a multi-language portal (was: Some thoughts about Python, python.org and non-English languages))

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 17 21:58:07 EST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> That was my intent with suggesting CosmoPython, with a 'Greek' prefix.
> But looking further, I see that KosmoPython is the proper spelling for
> that purpose, and it might not have the trademark problem.  Given that
> Python is a Greek word, I think a Greek modifier of some sort would be
> appropriate.

Well, it's already Anglicized -- we don't spell the word _python_ with
Greek letters -- changing the _c_ in _cosmo_ to a _k_ doesn't seem like
it's all that much closer to its true origins (yes, I know there is no
_C_ in the Greek alphabet -- but the Greek letter kappa isn't written
quite the same way as we write our _k_, either).

I doubt there would be much of a chance of a real trademark issue with
something named Cosmo, since certainly that doesn't grant them a
trademark for _any_ project remotely related to software containing the
word fragment _cosmo_ contained anywhere in its name -- particularly
here, where they're different names (Cosmo vs. CosmoPython) and are
entirely different things (a 3D Web graphics player vs. a muti-language
portal for a programming language).

That doesn't mean, of course, that you might get some wiseass suing you
anyway, but I doubt the suit would have much merit -- which isn't to say
that, in the event you _were_ to get sued, it would be worth defending.
Standard not-a-lawyer disclaimers, of course.

/  \ Be able to be alone.  Lose not the advantage of solitude.
\__/ Sir Thomas Browne
    Physics reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/physics/
 A physics reference.